Today our Advocacy Manager, Didi Dufresne, is speaking to the BC Legislative Assembly on Reforming the Police Act with the following recommendations:
5 Points Overview of Recommendation:
1. Granting self-governance to Indigenous People, who will no longer be subjected to police authority without consent.
2. Banning police street checks.
3. Decriminalizing sex work, drug possession, public intoxication, poverty discrimination, immigration status, and Indigenous land defense.
4. Establishing police accountability through independent, transparent, third-party oversight bodies.
5. Banning police from carrying lethal force weapons in Indigenous, Black, and low-income neighbourhoods.
For Didi’s full recommendation and rationale for on Reforming the Police Act and rationale, click here.