What Are Securities?
A security is any proof of ownership or debt that has been assigned a value and may be sold. For example: stocks, bonds, or mutual funds.
Why Give Securities?
The simple answer: You don’t have to pay tax on securities directly donated, while you would if you had cashed those securities in and then donated the capital gains. You can learn more about giving securities in this post on our blog.
How Does It Work?
1. Download our Security Donation Form and send it to your broker or financial advisor.
2. Your broker will contact and deliver the form to our agent, Richardson GMP.
3. Once the securities have been transferred to our brokerage account, we will be advised in writing of the receipt of the securities and the closing bid value on the day they were received.
4. You will be issued an official receipt for income tax purposes, for the value as determined by our agent.
5. Once received by our broker, securities may be sold or added in specie to First United’s investment account in accordance with our investment policy.
Still have questions? Contact the Director of Fund Development at 604-681-8365 ext. 119.