Taxes at First is a vital program serving low-income people in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. Each year, we process thousands of tax returns, enabling individuals to access vital benefits related to housing, pensions, and other assistance programs.
Intake & Contact Information
Current tax intake days and hours of operation are:
- Monday: between 9:00 and 11:00 a.m.
- Friday: between 9:00 and 11:00 a.m.
- Please note: Tax support is provided on a first come, first serve basis.
FIRST UNITED processes tax returns for low income individuals, families, seniors, and students. Clients must attend in person and bring tax slips (T4s, T5007s, etc.) with them in order to be served, but contactless filing is currently available. Intakes are completed by staff and volunteers and they cannot provide tax advice.
Please note, this program is only available for low income people. The maximum annual income limits are:
- Single person: total income up to $30,000
- Couple: total income up to $40,000
- One adult & one child : total income up to $35,000
- Families: add $2,500 to the family income for every additional child.
We cannot prepare complex returns, and cannot complete returns for individuals who:
- Have self-employment income;
- Are self-employed or are a sole proprietor;
- Have business or rental income and expenses;
- Have capital gains or losses;
- Have employment expenses;
- File for bankruptcy; or
- Passed away in the tax year.
We are able to paper file returns for past tax years (up to ten years back) but please note that returns for the current year will be processed first by Canada Revenue Agency. If you are filing multiple years of taxes it will likely be several months before your returns are completed. We have no capacity to speed up the tax process for individuals.
Questions about the program can be directed to email@example.com.