Helping your favourite charity through a gift of securities can make a big impact for the charity, and has great benefits for you. A security is any proof of ownership or debt that has been assigned a value and may be sold. For example: stocks, bonds, or mutual funds.
When you donate securities directly to a charity you save on having to pay capital gains tax. Donating securities directly, rather than cashing them in, is simple for for us, has great benefits for you, and can directly support our mission.
Follow our step by step process:
1. Download our Security Donation Form and send it to your broker or financial advisor.
If you’re making a gift to support the Redevelopment Capital Campaign you can use our Redevelopment Capital Campaign Securities Donation Form.
2. Your broker will contact our agent, listed on the Security Donation Form accessible above, and deliver them the form.
3. Once the securities have been transferred to our brokerage account, we will be advised in writing of the receipt of the securities and the closing bid value on the day they were received.
4. You will be issued an official receipt for income tax purposes, for the value as determined by our agent.
5. Once received, securities may be sold or added in specie to First United’s investment account in accordance with our investment policy.